In honor of March being National Women’s Month, we are releasing a series of short podcasts, “waffle bites” if you will, to celebrate women in gaming. For our first Waffle Bite, we explore female characters that have personally made an impact on us.
If you don’t have time to check out the entire podcast, here are the timestamps of topics covered:
- 0:34 – Seth (Acagameia.com) talks about Damoi Sochua from Civilization: Beyond Earth, and how she fills the “smartest man in the room” trope.
- 2:47 – Seth discusses the character of Juhani from Knights of the Old Republic and her brush with the dark side.
- 6:05 – Kate (k8monstrsCloset.com) discusses Rikku, Paine, and Yuna from FFX-2, Bayonetta, Aveline from Assassin’s Creed: Liberation, Ellen from Folklore and the identity-switching mechanic inherent in each game.
- 9:40 – Kate discusses gender equality in the Gauntlet series, and what an impact that had on her at an early age. (Valkyrie Rules!!)
- 13:25 – Tim (Acagameia.com) talks about his admiration of Huang “Hannah” Shuyi and Major Greenland from Battlefied 4, in the larger context of first person shooters.
- 16:05 – A few general shout-outs characters we didn’t get to talk about in depth.
Stay tuned for a new Waffle Bite next week when we rave about lady game developers!